Community Colleges vs. Universities

Dylan Pruitt, Reporter

Seniors right now are either committed to a big, four year university where they will live on campus and move away from home, or they are staying close to home to attend a local community college. Minus those who are going straight to work or are joining the armed forces.

“I really didn’t want to stay home at a community college. I’d rather move away from home. Through scholarships and help from my parents I can afford to go to [University of Arkansas]” Jake Skinner, Senior, said.

Skinner does not want to settle for what he feels is a second rate education, he believes in going to a large school for what he thinks is a much higher quality.

Like Leigh Evans, some simply do not want to stay home anymore, they are growing restless and want something new.

“I was ready to get out of the small town [Monahans, TX] and experience what a big town was like,” Evans said. “I had some close friends and family there so the transition was easy and I got really involved in [Lubbock Christian University].”

Being stuck in the same house with the same people for 18+ years may have them ready to move on, craving something bigger and better. Most students, like Skinner, yearn for the fascinating life style that universities have to offer.

“I got involved in sports and sororities and other social events and it was awesome, I did not feel super couped like I used to,” Evans said

The small town charm Van Alstyne provides is not a concept everyone is entirely keen to. Many argue they want the full college experience hinting at all the luxuries this kind of lifestyle yields.

However, others like Elsie Wetzel did not have as much opportunity to move away.

“I was granted local scholarships and a full ride through choir to Angelina Community College, I helped my dad provide for my sister, I worked and I was able to stay close to home,” Wetzel said.

Community Colleges allow students to have a more flexible schedule with their education, as most of their students either have families or work.

“As much as I wanted to go to Tarleton I just couldn’t afford the tuition and all the other expenses that came with it. [Collin  College]isn’t terrible, though it is affordable and gives me something to build off of,” Carleigh Howard, Senior, said.

Although she aspires to attend a university and move away, it just was not financially feasible.

“I did my first two years at Angelina then eventually moved to [Steven F. Austin] with the joint program they had with them,” Wetzel said.

Community colleges typically offer basic courses like math, science, english, etc., which are prerequisite courses for almost any minor or major. After two years of basic courses many students will then transfer to a larger school for their majors. Eventually students will be able to transfer to a university after beginning in a community college.

When comparing which is better, the bottom line is whether it is an experience someone wants to have and can afford it. If they are more concerned with getting their education taken care of with a more cost effective manor. Nothing is necessarily wrong with either option, in the end it’s what the person wants, and what they think the best route to their selected end game would be.